Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Incentive

So I've come up with an incentive to get myself to complete my word goals each week: books.

I love books, and due to my upcoming summer job I'll soon have all the money I could possibly want... or, at least, more than my student allowance and ten-hour job are currently providing. So I thought a relatively cheap incentive would be to buy myself a book at the end of each week, if I complete my word goal by midnight of the Sunday.

I love Georgette Heyer, and own every single one of her historical romances, mostly in old, falling-to-pieces (literally), water-logged (through me reading them in the shower and bath) wrinkled and bent covers. But the wonderful GoodBooks store has each and every title in a beautiful new edition, each of which is horribly spell-checked and has a cover which has nothing at all to do with the plot or characters. Nonetheless. Beautiful; new; much nicer than my current ones with the pages falling out.

For Week One: Frederica
Week Two: Arabella
Week Three: These old shades
Week Four: Devil's cub

This is mostly an incentive to keep me on track, so I don't have to do 80% of the novel in the last week, like I did last year; to keep me consistent, and to stop me from completely stressing out and hence stressing Dan out.

Oh, yeah. When I mentioned to him I was thinking of increasing my word goal this year, he looked thoughtfully at me, and said: "Well, I don't know. How much do you want to be single by the end of the month?"

Total words today: 1183
Total words overall: 11,355

1 comment:

Kerryn Angell said...

Lol. Dan's reaction is very close to Mark's when I get stressed out doing NaNo or SoCNoC. Part of the reason I'm not doing NaNo this year. :)