Friday, 27 June 2008

#6: BNZ Awards

Tonight I finally edited, proofread and eventually submitted a short story for the BNZ Katherine Mansfield Awards — something I've been meaning to do for probably five or six years.

I had three stories I really liked, but one was just the most finished. I'd already thoroughly revised, second-opinioned, edited and proof-read it, and then re-read and re-edited it again in the last few days.

I have a lot of worries about it, though. It's based on true events, so the most interesting (true) parts may sound unrealistic; and it's a love story, which I know is really trite. But I thought it was sweet. Unfortunately, sweetness probably won't equal the zest and originality that the judges will be looking for.

But I entered it. I feel good. Next year I'll try to enter again; and maybe the year after, too. And once the awards presentations are over, I can submit the story to somewhere like Takahe, maybe.

I still intend to use another of the stories this month, probably trying my luck with Takahe if I can whip it into shape soon enough. It'll be a damn good feeling once I get that out of the way, too: I've been meaning to submit a story to Takahe since I was 14.

I've been trying to get a story good enough and my courage high enough to enter a competition for years, let alone be organised enough to revise and edit it in time. I think my creative writing courses are really helping me; my best stories this year are all so much better than the stories I loved last year, although I might revisit one of those as well.

It's good to have a few well-written stories on the go.

And it's good to have entered that competition.

1 comment:

Kerryn Angell said...

Congrats on your submission and ticking a goal off your very long and ambitious list.