Monday, 4 May 2009

Brand's booky wook

Has anyone read My booky wook? Apart from the awesome title, it's caught my interest because it's an autobiography of Russell Brand, the new boyfriend in Chasing Sarah Marshall (who was quite possibly the only good thing about that movie). But I'm loath* to buy, especially since — according to the "Reviews" section in Fishpond, which I'm not entirely sure I can trust — some of the reviews for the book read as follows:
    Grazia: "Part funny, but part hugely disturbing"
    Observer: "To his expanding CV can now be added a scandalous, libidinous memoir that is better written and more entertaining than any number of the celebrity autobiographies that clog the shelves of bookshops"
    Ian Hislop, author: "335 dismal, masturbatory pagey-wages" (although technically I think it should have been pagey-wageys)

So I have no intention of spending money on it. But I'd be interested to hear anyone else's opinion, if they've read it?

Also, I think I might have a moral issue with buying a book that is solely about a guy's issues with drugs, sex and self-harm, and solely profiting said sexed-up, self-harming boozer. To me that's almost promoting that kind of life by paying money to read a book about it.

*This is not a typo. Loath and loathe are two completely different words with two completely different meanings. Look it up.**

**Too lazy to look it up? Loathe = to hate. Loath = does not want [to do something, e.g. buy a book about a druggie]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I personally loved it. As a fan of Russell's, I wanted to find out the in-depth trajectory that was his humble upbringings to his fame now. He's truly lived an interesting life and even though it is full of tragedy and heartbreak, Russell makes up for it with charm and wit waltzing from every page. Also, the book is a much about his horrible druggie past as it is how he's gotten over such deplorable addictions. If you don't want to spend the money on it, I suggest finding a library that has it.